Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why Windows...

So, I have had this fascination with windows for quite some time.  Not quite sure why...

 Some time ago, when my son was a toddler (oh my goodness, 22 years ago, is that possible?) I ran a Day Care in my home.  Somehow, even though it was such busy work, I found time for quilting.  I designed and made some pillows that were windows with flower boxes.  I had this grand plan that I would create this line of "art" and sell them on consignment.  My label name was "Sally's Windows".

Well, all I have to show for that venture, are these two pictures of the pillows I made...  After selling them in a little shop on Nantucket, I ended up making $25 per pillow and realized I would much rather have the actual pillows back than the money made.  These pillows were worth so much more to me...  I still think about them today...

Windows are like photographs.  I often look at a photo taken.  It is a glimpse of the world as the photographer sees it.  What he or she saw through the "shutter" that day...  Whether it be a couple enjoying each other's company, children playing on a beach, a still shot of the early morning sunrise....  There is something special, personal, about a photograph.

Windows give safety.  From the safety of your home, you can look through the windows at what is going on in the world around you.  That window creates a safety net per say.  You can choose whether to just observe, or go out there and join in on the activity. 

Windows bring imagination.  Looking through a window, you often see glimpses of life, in a home or a business, and imagine what is going on inside.   

Ahhh, windows...  I now know why!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE those.. you should make them again!! I think you could get more then $25 now...! hmm, I have some thoughts...... :)

    ReplyDelete